No result...

monastery of St. John

Written by on 20/06/2013

Located 7 km south of the charming village of Kefalos. It is an idyllic location
between planes. Next to the monastery, half-ruined tower has been preserved. On August 29, many people flock here
to pay homage to the saint.

Agia Paraskevi

Written by on 20/06/2013

Located in the city of Kos. It's a very large church that dominates the city center. Size
the church, with the external beauty of beige and blue hues make discernible. Each year, a crowd of pilgrims
come here from all over the island.

Venetian Castle Antimahia

Written by on 20/06/2013

 located 3 km outside the town of Antimahia and dominates the entire region. In the early 19th century, constant raids forced the inhabitants to flee inside, and staying there until 1850.
Then, building new settlements in the northwest and southwest of the castle. Today fortification walls still stand and inside, there are tanks and two Byzantine churches. One of the churches are dedicated to Agia Paraskevi on July 26, there is a large festival that attracts many pilgrims.

Castle of Knights

Written by on 20/06/2013

dominates the right side of the harbor of Kos is perhaps the most remarkable building in the island. It was built by the Knights, who came to Kos in the 14th century probably on the ruins of a previous building, as shown ruins of ancient buildings, columns and other architectural elements inside the walls. The external construction of the castle began in 1495 and the existence of several carved armorial bear witness that external completed in 1524, while the interior was completed in 1748. Today, one can see parts of the walls and towers, stairs, hallways and doorways from the outside and the inside of the castle. Below the castle gate, found parts of a circular wall built in 1391 by the knights to protect the city. The most impressive parts of the castle is the southwest tower and the main entrance with three arched bridges and mobile portal.


Written by on 20/06/2013

 located in the Sanctuary of Asklepios. Its purpose is the conduct of medical research and the promotion of cooperation between doctors of various nationalities. Publish the works of Hippocrates and manuscripts Hippocratia School
grants and scholarships for important medical research and discoveries. Among its objectives is the creation of an international center with the name "city of Hippocrates", bringing together doctors from all over the world for conferences every five years. Would house a
museum and a rich library dedicated to the history and ethics of medicine.


Written by on 20/06/2013

The Asclepion is located 4 km west of Kos is the most important archaeological site on the island. Excavations began here in 1902, by James Zarafti from Kos and the German Herzog. The Asclepion was built in a green area full of cypress trees. During the ancient times, served as a sanatorium and it was dedicated to Asclepius, son of Apollo, protector of health and medicine. Many great scientists of antiquity had studied and worked here, including his father
of Medicine, Hippocrates. Because of the steep terrain, Asklipieio consists of four levels. The first is characterized by ruins of Roman constructions of the 1st AD century. The second is said to have housed the medical school, is known for its arches
and statues. Here were the spas that drew water from the source of King Chalkona. At the third level, the temple of Asclepius (4th century BC). Excavations around unearthed a priceless treasure for offers of
visitors, a semicircular platform and a small Roman temple dedicated to Nero. The fourth level was built in the 2nd century BC and included a large Doric temple, along with the chambers of patients.

Archaeological Museum

Written by on 20/06/2013

Located in Liberty Square, opposite the mosque and market. The exhibits include sculptures from the Hellenistic and Roman Age, figurines, signs, etc. The museum consists of three exhibition spaces. The first room with exhibits from the Roman period, while the second contains OFA marble sculptures, and the statue of Hippocrates.
The third room contains artifacts from the Hellenistic and classical era, such as statues of the temple of Demeter at Cypress. Guests can admire the statue of Demeter and statues from the Roman era. The second floor exhibits
pretty vases from the Geometric and the Mycenaean Age. Another part of the exhibit is statuettes and a mosaic depicting Dionysus. The most important part is the head of Alexander the Great and Demeter, Roman statue
Mercury, the statue of Artemis and Asclepius, and other famous works.
 Tree of Hippocrates
 standing in front of the Castle of the Knights in the center of Kos Town. It is a huge tree with a circumference of twelve meters, which is considered to be the largest in Europe. The residents claim that was planted by Hippocrates, who
used it to teach under its shade. According to tradition, the Apostle Paul taught there. At this point, held every summer cultural festival.

Ancient city of Kos.

Written by on 20/06/2013

The ruins of the ancient city are scattered throughout the city of Kos and is divided into three archaeological zones in the central, eastern and western. In the central zone, excavations unearthed artifacts from the Early-Christian, the Geometric and the Mycenaean Age, which are exhibited in the Archaeological Museum of Kos, along with its magnificent mosaics, many of which were used to decorate the Castle of Knights . Excavations also brought to light an ancient cemetery with many graves of young children and infants. This zone also includes the Venetian Castle and the Roman buildings south, where one can admire the beautiful mosaics. One of the famous mosaics exhibited in the Archaeological Museum of Kos, depicts the meeting between Asklepios and Hippocrates.
Most of the city ruins were excavated in the area around the harbor shortly after a devastating earthquake in 1933. This is the eastern part of the excavation. Among the findings is the altar of the pandemic Venus, the altar of Hercules, Hellenistic altar
in a trapezoid shape, an arch of the 3rd or 4th century BC surrounds with impressive columns, the Basilica in the Orthodox cemetery (5th-6th century), and Agora Avenue Hippocrates. In the same area, one can see the beautiful churches
St. John, St. George and Our Lady Katenatis. Here one can also see parts of the Hellenistic wall that surrounded the ancient city. The western zone includes preserved monuments such as the temple and the altar of Dionysus, the baths, the ancient
stage opposite the church of St. Anne, the Nymphaeum with beautiful mosaic floors and a staircase that leads to the Acropolis, the Odeon where found many statues, and the Casa Romana, a mansion from the Roman era, beautifully decorated with frescoes, carved scenes and gorgeous mosaics. Here one can see a Hellenistic gymnasium.


Written by on 20/06/2013

The town of Kardamena is in fact a modern tourist resort, at a distance of 29 kilometers Southwestern to the capital town of Kos. The houses and other constructions have been built along the long beach extended at both sides of the settlement. The area around is very beautiful, full of cultivations, trees and green and the natural beauty is one of the attractions of the place. The town has also a small port, from where there is connection with the small island of Nisyros. The population of the town is some 1800 permanent residents.

Once at Kardamena don't miss to see the old restored building, now housing the local Medical Center and visit the churches of Aghia Varvara (Santa Barbara), Aghioi Anargyroi and the church dedicated to Virgin Mary.


Written by on 20/06/2013

Built on a hill at the western part of the island, Kefalos is a beautiful small town, situated at a distance of 40 kilometers southwestern to the town of Kos. In antiquity it was the capital city of the island; today it counts some 2.500 permanent residents.

The town is built upon a hill, with the houses clung one to another and narrow streets, quite characteristic features of the architecture of the islands, which make strolling around a very interesting and fascinating experience. There are several things worth seeing in Kefalos: the «traditional house», which in fact is a folk museum, presenting the agricultural life of the village in past times. Beside the traditional house, you will see the traditional windmill, which complete the image of the way of living of the past. Finally, don’t miss to visit the ruins of the old castle, just off the main settlement.

Page 1 of 3


Facebook Like!